Tropical storm watch canceled
Washington Parish’s tropical storm watch has been canceled, but heavy wind is still possible this weekend.
On Friday morning, officials with the Washington Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (OHSEP) stated that the parish had previously been under a Tropical Storm Watch, but that watch had been since removed.
In its place, the parish is now under a Wind Advisory, which will remain in effect until 1 p.m. Saturday. Hurricane Delta is expected to reach land in Louisiana on Friday night or Saturday morning, likely to the west of Washington Parish.
Although the advisory is a lesser category than a watch, the potential for strong wind and rain continues. The area could see southeast to south winds from 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph, officials said.
Residents are asked to use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. They are also asked to secure outdoor objects.
As of Friday morning, this was the weather forecast for Bogalusa, from the National Weather Service:
- Friday during the day — A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 5 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Friday during the night — Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Saturday during the day — Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between noon and 1 p.m., then a chance of showers after 1 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. South wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Saturday during the night — A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 1 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Sunday during the day — A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
- Sunday during the night — Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Calm wind.